KarachiOS(KOS)-Pakistan's first Linux distro
I read this great news few moments back on Linux Pakistan that few karachiites have come up with a debian based Linux distro which is very much Pakistan's based distro and has named it as KarachiOS(Karachi Operating System) or KOS.
Anjum butt ,the main guy behind about this distro says:
In the name of Allah, the most merciful.
It gives me great pleasure to announce that on August 14th, 2007, we released the first public release of KOS (KarachiOS).
KarachiOS is the result of countless hours of devoted study, work and bug fixing.
Based on Debian sources, current release KarachiOS 1.0rc1 contains the following features:
* Linux Kernel 2.6.21
* X.org 7.2
* KDE 3.5.7
* Adept Package Management tool
* GnuPG 2.0 5
* Support for printers, scanners, digicams and webcams
* VLC Media Player with native support for WMV files
* Amarok audio media player
* Support for legacy Windows Application via Wine
* LAMP Stack
* Apache 2
* MySQL 5.0.44
* WebERP for accounting
* Pre-release version of Badar Sami's Urdu keyboard for touch typists
* Fonts for Arabic/Farsi/Urdu
* Adobe FlashPlayer 9
* Experimental support for wireless modems
* KPDF and KCHMViewer for viewing documents
* digiKam for digital camera and photo gallery management
* KOpete for Instant messaging with Yahoo and MSN Webcam support
* Skype 1.4beta
* Secure Remote Desktop access support using NX technology
* Viki (Onscreen Accessibility Keyboard)
* kbfx (Next generation KDE Lauch Menu)
* K3B for CD/DVD burning
* Builtin StartCom certificates
Great work Anjum and His team and most of All , Tariq Bhai aka Mahin. I am not sure how good it is but since it's based on Debian then it would be surely good!
Yet another great work by Pakistani IT professionals!