Installing Team Foundation Server
Today; I had to stay at home; with my son, Abdullah. My wife was on evening duty today. We both enjoyed the evening; we went out; bought few toys and books. It was rush out; we had a little accident out there. The side light broke :(
When we return; Abdullah got busy with his new toys and story books. I availed the time and installed Team Foundation Server Beta 2. Here’s my experience of installing/configuring it.
I will try other things some other day; and if I try; I will post about that... For now; I am happy to see the following in the VS 2005!
- You need to have an Active Directory (AD) environment. For which you need DNS server as well. I created a Virtual Machine, configured DNS, and then installed AD Services
- You need to have Sharepoint Team Services (STS) STS can be installed in two modes; with SQL 2000 or with SPDE (Sharepoint Data Engine, MSDE based engine) I luckily had SQL Server up and running; so I used it. For STS; you obviously need IIS6. I installed IIS6, STS v2 Sp1 on my TFS (Team Foundation Server) machine. The machine obviously was made AD member.
- You need to have SQL 2005 and its Reporting and Analysis Services. I installed these all on the TFS machine. TFS machine was not hosting SQL 2000; so I was confident; I choose to install everything in SQL 2005 so I can play-around with it some other time. SQL 2005 also installs MSXML6 and SQLXML4.
- You need to bypass Reporting web paths in STS. STSADM tool can help you do this.
- You need to create an ordinary AD user; call it TFSService; and make it member of local administrators group of TFS machine.
- Launch TFS setup and give this user when it asks for the service account.
- Use ADAM (Active Directory Application Mode) tool to add users into ADAM’s adm namespace. ADAM is installed with TFS. My TFS machine was not AD server; so everything went smooth.
- If you have not yet installed Visual Studio 2005 on client machine, do so; also install Team Foundation Client modules.
- Connect to your TFS!!!
- If you are feeling sleepy and hungry like me; try refrigerator in the kitchen (lucky me; my wife backed couple of things today) eat something and go to bed ;)